Konjac root, commonly referred to as glucomannan, offers some health benefits. It has been used in Japanese medicine for centuries.
Konjac plant, or the root, is a Japanese root vegetable that is full of fiber. It has been used by people in East Asia for thousands of years and is mainly grown in Asian countries. Similar looking to an odd-shaped potato (as they come from the same family as potatoes), it contains a soluble fiber called glucomannan. In fact, it has the highest molecular weight and consistency as any known dietary fiber.
Five health benefits of konjac root.
Konjac root has a number of health potential benefits that are explored below. Many of these benefits relate to the high content of glucomannan, the soluble dietary fiber that is in the konjac plant.
- Diabetes management. Research has shown that consuming a mix of glucomannan and American ginseng indicated a moderate improvement in type 2 diabetes management.
- Weight loss. Glucomannan made from konjac is beneficial for people who are looking to lose weight. This type of fiber helps a person feel full longer by slowing gastric emptying.
- Cholesterol. Glucomannan has a beneficial effect on cholesterol levels. Having high cholesterol means that people are more likely to experience heart disease or have a stroke. Water-soluble fibers are recommended to aid in cholesterol and weight management.
- Constipation. Taking a glucomannan supplement may help to regulate a person’s bowel movements and prevent them from becoming constipated.
- Healthy skin. Glucomannan can also help people looking to improve the health of their skin. A study found that glucomannan is beneficial as a topical therapy for acne and that it improves overall skin health.
With so many health benefits, it’s no wonder that many people are looking for ways to add the konjac root into their diet and beauty regime. With many foods now incorporating konjac into the ingredients list, it’s now getting easier to enjoy the foods we love, all while gaining health and assisting with weight loss.
If you like to consume konjac root as a supplement, our recommendation is GlucomannanPlus. Produced in England by Evolution Slimming, GlucomannanPlus has been clinically tested as a high quality weight management supplement. The product is even enriched with green tea extract to give you more health benefits.